Friday, July 1, 2011

Washington DC

The other day we took the Metro into Washington DC from Largo, MD.  We arrived at the National Holocaust Museum just in time to hear an 83-year-old Lithuanian-American speak about her experiences in her small village in the 1930s and then at several concentration camps as a teenager.  What an amazing spirit.  Her father was "separated" and murdered, but fortunately, after liberation, she was reunited with her mother and two older brothers.  So many sad stories.  The permanent display was fascinating and sobering. 

Seeing many photos of Jewish families brought to mind my dear friend Rubie who passed away last year after having cancer.  After her passing, I went through many of her photos to send back to her sister in New York.  Rubie's NYC elementary school photos - sparkling brown eyes - are still in my mind as well as images of her as a toddler in Israel where her family settled after fleeing from their home in Afghanistan.  One can only imagine what it is like to be part of a group that is persecuted in such a way.  The parting message of the Holocaust survivor was to spread the word to love each other and treat each other with dignity.  Wise words indeed.

We'd had a hellacious downpour the evening before in which Dave and I made a mad dash in our dinghy up Spa Creek to Wayward Wind.  Soaked to the bone, I crouched in the cockpit and dropped my drenched clothing before stepping down into the salon of the boat.  The beauty (or two) of a downpour is that the deck of the boat gets completely cleaned of all the collective dust and such.  The second is that it breaks the humidity and heat.  The next day was lovely with clear skies, perfect for visiting the capital. 

Hi, Barack and Michelle!

Viet Nam Veterans Memorial


Future Farmers of America on tour at Lincoln Memorial

Here, I read Lincoln's second inaugural address in which he illuminates the incongruity of the Civil War and his goal to keep the nation unified.

Korean War Memorial, very moving

World War II Memorial - Thank you, Dad, for your contribution during this horrific time

I realize now that most of the places we saw involved wars.  I know I'm a bleeding heart liberal and all, but I truly hope for our children's sakes that we can someday get beyond war. 

Maybe a friendly game of slow pitch is the answer...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to see the Korean War memorial. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it myself. It is truly the most moving and beautiful of all the memorials. Haunting in its portrayal of the bitterness of war. --Bonnie

    ReplyDelete